When you think of fish and chips, you think of a greasy deep fried meal. So why not enjoy it more often, but without the added saturated and trans fats?
Generally when you think of fish and chips, you think of eating a deep fried greasy meal where the paper it comes wrapped in has gone see through. And in no way am I saying that this something that shouldn’t be enjoyed occasionally. However, why not enjoy it more often but without the added saturated and trans fats.
Just as a heads up, when foods are deep fried (think chips, calamari), they are fairly high in the bad fats – saturated and trans fat. Trans fat is a fat source that is quite cheap (and nasty) and has a long shelf life. Trans fat are artificially created and are considered to be the worst kind of fat to be consumed as they are known to raise your LDL ‘bad’ cholesterol and lower your HDL ‘good’ cholesterol. So really, they are like very cheap oil for our hearts.
Having said all this, fish and chips is the type of meal that is a great way to get people who aren’t fish people, to actually eat fish (this is me!). This recipe helps to easily transform fish and chips into something that I would encourage everybody to eat often!
Fish is an amazing protein source that is full of healthy omegas. All the Omegas are essential for the body and because our body can’t make them, we need to put them in. Omega-3 (which is in oily fish like salmon and sardines) has been show to lower blood pressure and reduce triglycerides.
So who else is having fish and chips tonight?
This recipe is also:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Low GI
- High Protein
- Source of Omega 3
- 600g Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Salmon Fillets
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Almond Meal
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 200g Green Beans
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- Preheat oven to 220c (200c for fan forced)
- Put sweet potato ‘chips’ into a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl and put to the side.
- Mix almond meal with dried parsley in another bowl.
- Dip fish in the egg and then into the almond meal mixture. Press firmly to coat. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Lightly grease baking tray & place fish on tray.
- Add sweet potato chips. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Towards the end steam asparagus and green beans for 3-6 minutes.
- Drizzle olive oil over steamed vegetables and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.