This is a great salad that adds variety to any diet.
What's In It?
- 200g Pearl Barley
- 4 Spring Onions chopped
- 100g Baby spinach
- 4 tbsp Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- 1 Seeds of 1 pomegranate (or diced segments of 2 mandarins)
- 60g Chopped Parsley
- 60g Chopped Mint
- 1 ½ tsp Pomegranate syrup (or Honey with a squeeze of lemon juice)
- 5 tbsp Olive oil
Let's Get Cooking
- Place the Pearl Barley in a 1 litre of hot water with a teaspoon of salt and tablespoon of olive oil and bring to the boil, simmer for 15 minutes until tender and drain. Leave to cool.
- Mix your chopped spring onions, pomegranate seeds and herbs with the cooled Barley and season with salt and ground black pepper
- Whisk together the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the pomegranate syrup (or honey) with a pinch of salt and dress the salad mixing gently.
- Lay your baby spinach around the sides of your bowl and then add the mixed salad over the top. Sprinkle your pistachio nuts across the top and you’re ready to serve.
Why is this so Good?
The pearl barley is high in fibre and low GI which makes this a satisfying meal or a great side dish to any meal. Other grains like quinoa or brown rice can also be used, depending on what you love to eat and what is available! This salad is a perfect balance of nutty, sweet and sour yumminess!