To have healthy eating habits doesn’t have to be quite as complicated as you may think. There are some tasty and really simple swaps you can do to achieve it.
One very simple swap, which I use every day, is instead of having butter or margarine, swap it for a thin spread of avocado – cheaper and definitely tastier!
Snacking on a healthier option can sometimes seem impossible with all the quick and easy fixes around, especially when you’re in the office and you spy the cookie jar! But instead of having that biscuit swap it for some fruit, a cup of tea or a handful of natural nuts which are high in essential fats and a good source of fibre.
Some other really simple swaps you can do are;
- having wholegrain bread instead of white bread
- swap the ice cream after dinner for a low fat yoghurt you’ve frozen yourself or a fruity sorbet – lemon tastes amazing!
- have a natural untoasted cereal rich in wholegrains and fibre
- having cut up celery, carrot or capsicum with a salsa instead of a dip and crackers
- instead of getting a large coffee, get a small one – and make it on skim!
- swap a packet of lollies for a small punnet of berries such as blueberries as they can help protect your heart and improve your cholesterol
- swap a handful of potato chips for a small bowl of plain popcorn and season it with something like cinnamon to give it a little flavour
- for breakfast, make a smoothie instead of having buttered toast
Here is a great recipe using blueberries that I found on the Australia Blueberry Growers’ Association,
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 125g punnet fresh blueberries
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup reduced fat plain yoghurt
- 2 small mint leaves
1. Place milk, blueberries, mango, yoghurt and mint into a jug. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
Note: Mango can be replaced with other seasonal fruits such as bananas or
peaches which complement blueberries perfectly.
It is easy to make swaps toward a healthier you! For even more great ideas, visit the ‘Swap It’ website. Start to make the swap today!
Recipes. (2012). Retrieved July 15, 2012, from http://www.australianblueberries.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11:blueberry-and-mango-smoothie&catid=1:recipes&Itemid=37
Swap tips. (2012). Retried July 17, 2012, from http://swapit.gov.au/ways-to-swap/swap-tips#morning-nutrition