I admit it, I LOVE (yes, LOVE!) Nutella. It is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. But here is a fun fact for you. Did you know that if you compare Nutella with a block of Cadbury’s Hazelnut chocolate – the block of chocolate actually has more hazelnuts than the Nutella! Marketed as a ‘healthy’ breakfast spread for children’s breakfasts, you may as well spread melted chocolate on the bread. Definitely not a nutritious start to the day. But, like most things, there are healthier alternatives…and thanks to our dietitian Renee, here it is – a healthy Nutella. Get your spoon into this jar!
This recipe is not only delicious but also HIGH FIBRE, GLUTEN FREE and DAIRY FREE
Ingredients to make 1 jar of Healthy Nutella…
– 1 cup of hazelnuts
– 1 cup of medjool dates, pitted
– 1/2 a cup of water
– 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
– 1-2 heaped tablespoons of raw cacao powder
– Optional: 1/2 a ripe banana
Make the magic happen…
- Soak hazelnuts in a bowl of water overnight, or for at least six hours – this is an important step so don’t skip it! Drain just before use.
- Add nuts to food processor or Thermomix along with the dates, fresh water, maple syrup and raw cacao (and the if using it).
- Blend for about 5 minutes or until a very smooth paste forms.
- Store in an airtight jam jar in the fridge.