This breakfast slice is a super simple and of course tasty breakfast (or snack) idea. I like these types of recipes because they take less than hour from beginning to end and they are perfect to make ahead of a busy work/school week. The first version I made, I didn’t really love so I got a little more creative and came up with this adaptation. Thankfully, it got the thumbs up from three picky men who aren’t exactly ‘health food minded’… so I’m going to take that as success. I think it’s a good sign when I get “…and your telling me this is healthy? It doesn’t taste healthy!” Tick!
I eat this for breakfast, a snack or dessert and serve it with natural yoghurt (I am in love with Five AM natural yoghurt at the moment!) and dehydrated coconut chips (another current obsession of mine), fresh figs, passion fruit or sliced mango. Anything goes!
- 3 cups whole grain oats
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large apples (skin on), grated very coarsely (can be roughly chopped in food processor)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup mixed raw nuts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut – optional
- 3 tablespoons sugar-free apple sauce – optional
How the magic happens…
- Preheat oven to 180*C. Line a non-stick slice tin with baking paper.
- Combine banana, eggs and coconut oil in a mixing bowl (can do this in a food processor or Thermomix).
- Combine all remaining ingredients with banana in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Press mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until slice is golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool slightly on wire rack, then cut into squares to serve.
- Keep in a sealed container in the fridge. Keeps for 4-5 days.
Serve with natural yoghurt and dehydrated coconut chips, fresh figs, passion fruit or sliced mango.