I love eggs! And I love zucchini slice even more! To be honest, my Mum makes the best zucchini slice in the world (doesn’t everybody’s mum?)…pretty surprising considering my Mum absolutely hates egg.
I think the reason I love zucchini slice so much is that it is such an easy food to eat at any time of the day – meal or snack. It also freezes beautifully for those (many) times when you just haven’t had enough time to prepare lunch/dinner – all you need is some salad to put with it. As well as all this, it is a great source of protein and fibre and an easy way to hide vegetables for the big and little kids.
So here we go, my take on zucchini slice…and trust me, it is VERY easy…and VERY tasty…in fact, my husband told me it tasted better than my Mum’s (but don’t tell her that because she may not feed him any more).
6 eggs (could use 3 eggs + 3-4 egg whites)
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour (or gluten free flour), sifted
350g (approx 3) zucchini, grated, excess moisture squeezed
250g (approx 2) carrots, grated
1 small sweet potato, grated
1 large onion, finely diced
150g salt reduced ham, chopped
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, cubed if thermomix, grated if normal recipe
60ml (1/4 cup) olive or rice bran oil
1-2 tsp mixed dried herbs
1 tbspn parsley, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbspn fresh basil, finely chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
How the magic happens…
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a lasagne dish.
- To grate/dice vegetables, add vegetables to food processor and chop until finely diced. If no food processor, grate or chop as described above.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the flour and beat until smooth
- Add zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, onion, ham, cheese, oil, herbs and spices and stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Grease a ceramic or glass lasagne dish.
- Cube cheddar cheese, place in the TM bowl and grate on 5 secs / speed 6. Set aside.
- Place onion and bacon in the TM bowl and chop on speed 5 for 2-3 seconds. Set aside with cheese.
- Place zucchini, carrot, sweet potato in the TM bowl and chop on speed 5 for 3-4 seconds.
- Add SR flour, oil, eggs and salt/pepper to the TM bowl and mix on speed 4 for 20 seconds.
- Return cheese, zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, onion and bacon to the TM bowl and combine all ingredients on speed 3 for 30-40 seconds on reverse (or until combined).
- Pour mixture into the prepared dish and bake in a pre-heated moderate oven for approximately 40 minutes or until browned.
- Serve warm (or cold!) with salad.