This Mediterranean style lamb is a delicious and simple recipe for any night of the week. It includes a serving of whole grains from quinoa which is a perfect replacement for to rice or pasta! It also gives you a few servings of vegetables from the eggplant and roasted pepper.
What's In It?
- 400g Deboned lamb leg or shoulder chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp Rice bran oil or Grape seed oil
- ¼ cup Finely chopped spring onion (green part only)
- ½ tsp Dried grounded cumin powder
- ½ tsp Dried ground coriander
- 1 Lebanese eggplant chopped
- 1 Red roasted pepper with skin removed finely chopped (a jarred variety is fine)
- 400g Tinned tomatoes (no added salt)
- 1 cup Baby spinach finely chopped
- - Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups Quinoa rinsed
- ¼ cup Finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp Garlic infused oil (see notes below)
- ¼ cup Water extra (approx)
Let's Get Cooking
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Set your stove to medium heat and place a heavy based sauté pan on the stove.
- Let the pan heat for a few minutes and add the plain oil.
- Add lamb and brown on all sides (about 2 – 3 minutes) then add green onions and fry for an addition minute.
- Add cumin, coriander, eggplant lemon juice and zest.
- Stir for a minute to coat eggplant and lamb with spices and release their flavor.
- Place in oven and cook for around 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- While the lamb is cooking, prepare quinoa as per package instructions.
- When lamb is almost done, heat garlic infused oil in a small fry pan and add spinach and chopped red pepper.
- Add water and cook until spinach begins to wilt.
- Remove from heat and stir quinoa into spinach and red pepper mixture.
- Add a little salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon lamb over quinoa mixture and sprinkle with parsley.
- Add a dollop of yoghurt and enjoy!
Why is this so Good?
Garlic itself is a high FODMAP vegetable and should be avoided by those sensitive to it. However, the fructan’s in garlic are not soluble in oil so you can add the flavor of garlic to your dish without the side effects. Simply add a peeled garlic clove to your oil and gently cook for a few minutes to release the flavor into the oil. Discard the clove and add remaining ingredients.