This meal looks great, tastes delicious, and is a perfect healthy salad for a summer meal with friends.
What's In It?
- 2 cups Brown rice, rinsed
- 1 tsp Lime zest
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Pine nuts
- 600g Salmon fillets, skinned
- 1 Red onion, cut into thin strips
- 200g Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 200g Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 150g Mixed salad leaves or baby spinach
- 1 tbsp Flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove crushed
Let's Get Cooking
- Cook brown rice as per packet directions.
- Meanwhile, mix the lime zest, lime juice and brown sugar together. Spoon over the salmon and coat well on both sides.
- Preheat oven to 1800C. Place the pine nuts on baking paper in a baking tray and cook for 5 minutes or until brown. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the salmon for 2 minutes on each side or until your liking. Flake the salmon into large pieces.
- To make the dressing, mix the lime juice, oil and garlic together.
- Place the rice, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, snow peas, salad leaves and parsley, in a serving bowl and lightly toss to combine.
- Add the salmon to the salad and top with pine nuts. Drizzle the dressing over the top, gently toss and serve.
Why is this so Good?
The Omega-3 fatty acids in the Salmon are important for the body’s inflammatory process, cell function and brain function, while the protein helps muscle growth and keeps you fuller for longer.
Combined with this, the brown rice is high in fibre and has a low Glycaemic Index, meaning this meal will keep you fuller for longer. The pine nuts are a good source of protein, healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins (particularly Vitamin K) and other minerals. This meal is gluten free and has plenty of vegetables.
This salad works well as either a side or as a main meal, and is full of protein, omega-3, energy, fibre, vitamins and minerals, making this a perfect healthy summer salad.