- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup each of carrots and diced capsicum
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 460g total) cut into large pieces
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole onion
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 3/4 cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2- 450g cans of cannellini beans or great northern beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots, capsicum and chicken; cook, turning the chicken and stirring frequently, until the chicken begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir in broth and Italian herbs; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to a clean cutting board to cool. Add spinach and beans to the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, Parmesan and basil in a food processor (a mini processor works well). Process until a coarse paste forms, adding a little water and scraping down the sides as necessary. You can also use bottled pesto if you don’t want to make your own.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken and pesto into the pot. Season with pepper. Heat until hot. Garnish with croutons, if desired.
Nutrition: great source of Vitamin A, Folate, Fiber, and Vitamin C.
Gluten-free, low calorie, low fat.