My sisters and niece came over for a surprise home warming lunch at our new house and I had to whip something up rather quickly. I found some leftover beef strips in thr fridge and so I tossed together this amazing salad. It is a very well rounded salad with crunch and colour – plus it is very filling. Love the lentils and walnuts for the fibre and protein, not to mention the antioxidant punch you will get from the coloured veg such as the beetroot, sweet potato, tomato and baby spinach. The best thing yet, it tasted even better for lunch the next day. Enjoy!
Beef, Beets, Walnuts and Lentil Salad
[gluten free, low carb, high protein; omit onion and garlic (infuse in oil), beetroot and lentils for low FODMAP option]
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g beef fillet
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 medium beetroot, trimmed OR 425g can baby beets, drained, halved
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped
- 120g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- If using fresh beetroot: Preheat oven to 200°C/180C°C fan-forced. Wrap each beetroot in foil. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Set aside to cool. Remove and discard foil. Wearing gloves, peel beetroot. Cut into 4cm pieces.
- Heat small amount of oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan or chargrill over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Cook for 1-2 minute or until fragrant.
- Add sweet potato. Cook until tender.
- Add lentils and beetroot. Cook, tossing, for 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove to a plate.
- Add beef to frying pan. Cook beef until cooked to your liking. Remove to a plate to cool slightly.
- Combine spinach, mint, feta, tomato and walnuts in a large bowl. Thinly slice beef. Add to salad. Add beetroot and lentil mixture.
- Combine vinegars and remaining oil in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad. Toss to combine. Serve.