Here is a great recipe for those of you craving a healthier, sweet dessert. Since this doesn’t contain any flour it is great for those of you following a gluten-free diet. The sweetness in this recipe comes from the bananas and dates, which also provide a great deal of fibre. There is no refined or processed sugar in this recipe at all. Bananas provide not only 3g of fibre, but also a good dose of potassium, Vitamin A, and folate. Dates are also super high in potassium, iron, and magnesium. A dessert packed with all these amazing nutrients? Yes, please!
I made these as muffins or you can use a traditional banana bread dish. Be aware if you cook it in a bread dish, you will have to cook it for slightly longer.
This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY FREE, GRAIN FREE, PALEO, NUT FREE, SOY FREE, LOW ADDED SUGAR, HIGH FIBRE
For the Banana Muffin
- 6 bananas (brown ones are sweeter)
- 4 dried dates, pitted
- 4 eggs
- ? cup coconut cream concentrate or homemade coconut butter (see recipe)
- 3 heaping tablespoons of coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
Coconut Butter Recipe
- 200g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can also use almond extract)
- Pinch of Kosher salt.
Place all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor and blend together until smooth. This may take up to 10 minutes to get smooth depending on the power of your blender or food processor. Store at room temperature in a sealed container.
Frozen blueberries or raspberries
Dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Add dried dates to the food processor and puree until you get a lumpy paste.
3. Then place bananas in the food processor and pulse until completely pureed.
4. Next add eggs and coconut butter and puree.
5. Then add coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
6. Pour batter into well-greased muffin tins (baking paper works best).
7. Add blueberries, cacao nibs (or chocolate chips), flaked almonds or whatever other topping you like onto the muffins. Mix with a knife to incorporate if you like.
8. Place into the oven for 30 minutes or until you poke each one with a skewer and they come out clean.
9. Let rest for about 5 minutes.